I watched my first Superbowl last night and, besides the half-time show and the commercials, I discovered that it's just another football game... I'm not sure quite what else I expected, but it was a bit of a letdown...
A few random notes about Superbowl XLI:
- Budweiser has good advertising executives. The Bud adverts were clever, with a nice twist to the story (be it the "dirty Dalmatian" or the football chess game with the witty repartee and that last second "gust of wind"). Meanwhile, the Bud-Light ads were pretty funny (being a "non-resident alien", I did enjoy the "English Classes"... I also enjoyed the "hitch-hikers" and the "Auctioneer/Priest").
- Siera Mist, Snickers, and Doritos should do not have good advertising executives, and the Emerald Nuts ad was just plain strange!
- FedEx are usually a safe bet for a good ad, and they proved this yet again with their "Moon Office" ad... but the FedEx shuttle touching down to "Final Countdown" was impossibly cheesy!
- The GPS system advert, made like an old Japanese Godzilla movie with the evil Map Beast facing GPS Man, was enjoyable... though I question the placement of GPS Man's laser, which appeared to fire from his navel!
- The Taco Bell lions were funny, while the E-Trade "things you can do with one finger" ad was great because it was such a simple concept.
- The commentators made a reference to Australian Rules Football. The ball was fumbled in the extremely wet conditions and everyone jumped on top of it, causing a commentator to remark: "It looks a bit like Australian Rules Football"...
- Hats off to Prince and all those involved in the Half-time Show!! It was pouring with rain, but everyone was professional and things went off without a hitch... Well done!!
Oh yeah, and apparently Peyton Manning beat the Bears...