Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Great Debate

I'm not a fan of politics. Not a die-hard fan of any one party (be it here or back home). I can't even vote here (not that I'm complaining!). Yet I am about to write about politics for the first (and probably only) time.

Why? What has caused this sudden political awakening? The 2nd Presidential Debate is on tonight (the VP Debate doesn't count), and it's on across the road. I don't mean that in a figurative way... The debate will be held right in a university building that is across the road from my apartment (in about 2 hours)!

Having a Presidential Debate in such close proximity is a new experience for me. Roads are going to be closed. Foot paths as well. Street vendors were set up outside the apartments this morning, selling T-shirts in support of the candidate who is less likely to forget where he put his car keys. Residents have tidied their front gardens and put up signs of support. Fancy cars are park outside houses that do not own fancy cars.

I have questions: Will we be able to see one of the candidates? What will our walk home entail? But my biggest question is this: Will we be able to get to my apartment tonight?

Watch this space...

2 comments:

JollyRgr said...

Good luck Bro......it's a real inconvenience considering neither is actually the 'actual' President and neither has any real power

Goose said...

Thanks Jollyrgr! That's true, or as the moderator of the debate said: "If either of you becomes president... and, of course, one of you will..."

We made it home fairly easily in the end. There were road-blocks, but no real issues. Actually, it was quite the carnival atmosphere! Lots of people cheering and celebrating outside the university (despite the 8 foot chain-link fence that was erected and completely encircled the campus!).