Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Variety is the Spice of Life!

It's been a typically unusual day and it occurred to me that maybe I should share what I do when I'm not teaching...

I spent some time planning my full day lesson on the Periodic Table. This may sound boring, but there's a lot of funky history and cool facts buried in the elements!

Next, I updated the second freshman lesson to include my flashy experiments (with such names as "angry bottles", "elephant toothpaste", and "lycopodium explosives").

I wrestled with some of the big questions in science (according to the journal "Science"), which form the basis of our 10th grade curriculum. These range from "How was the universe formed?" to "What causes puberty"...

After a working lunch (most of which was sitting outside and gas-bagging about work), I settled down to watch some online science videos from Craig Venter, and Stephen Hawking.

Finally, I finished off my day by planning some experiments that could be performed on an ice core that was donated to the school...

I don't want for variety!

4 comments:

JollyRgr said...

You sound as happy as a dog with two tails!!!

Goose said...

Two tails? More like three!

JollyRgr said...

Careful...I was going to use the original version...:-)

Goose said...

Yeah, I wondered about that... Thanks for keeping it PG!